Okay, so I am sure the word vegan has thrown you off and you probably think this recipe will be tasteless and leave you hungry, but you would be wrong! This soup is a wonderful set and forget meal that is hearty and will fill you and the family to the brim. It’s packed full of goodness and is a great winter warmer.
- 1 head of broccoli
- 10 mushrooms
- 200g silken tofu
- 1 x 2 person serve of 90 second brown rice
- 1L of vegetable stock or chicken stock but obviously it won’t be vegan if you use the chicken stock
- 1 large brown onion – diced
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a heavy bottomed casserole dish – I used my La Chasseur cast iron pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until fragrant and translucent.
- Break the florets from the head of broccoli, chop the stalk, quarter the mushrooms and add to pan.
- Cover with stock, bring to the boil, reduce to simmer and cover for 40 minutes.
- Cook the brown rice according to packet instructions, add along with the tofu.
- Use your spoon to break up the tofu and a stick blender to blend.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve!
I also cracked black pepper over the top when it was served so it didn’t look as much like a brown/green blob – just a thought.
- Vegan Japanese Onion-Mushroom Soup (rose2392.wordpress.com)
- Vegan Scrambled Eggs (mnn.com)
- Easy Broccoli-Mushroom Soup (curryworld.wordpress.com)
- Tofu omelettes with tenderstem broccoli (independent.co.uk)
- Tofu Stir Fry (flavorpalate.com)