Let me start this by saying that in noway is this a traditional recipe, however it is delicious! Also, I am unsure if the correct term is Sang Choy Bow OR San Choy Bow – so any clarification in the comments would be great!
This is a great low fat, family friendly recipe that is fast to prepare – which is a must! It is also a great way to incorporate lots of vegetables into a dish which can be great if you have fussy children. What I like best about this recipe is that you can throw in pretty much any vegetable you have in the fridge and it will work.
- 1 tbs peanut oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large brown onion – halved and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 500g premium beef mince – you can use any type of mince you choose
- 1 tbs Chinese five spice
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 2 carrots – diced
- 1 bok coy cut into 2cm slices
- 6 mushrooms – sliced
- 1.5L warm/hot chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 2 tbs oyster sauce
- Crunchy noodles – I used Changs
- Fresh coriander leaves
- 1 fresh iceberg lettuce
- Heat peanut oil and sesame oil in a hot pan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and fry until soft and fragrant.
- Add mince, Chinese five spice, fry until browned and use the back of the spoon to break up the mince.
- Add rice and fry for 1-2 minutes until coated. Add carrot, bok voy, mushrooms, dried chilli flakes soy sauce, hoisin sauce and oyster sauce and stir to combine. Top with stock, bring to the boil, reduce to simmer and cover for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, seperate the large outer leaves from the lettuce to make ‘lettuce cups’.
- Uncover the mince and rice mixture and leave to cook until all liquid has be adsorbed – this is crucial or your lettuce will fill with liquid and squirt all over you which isn’t fun at all.
- Once all the liquid has been adsorbed spoon the mixture into your lettuce cups, top with crunchy noodles, fresh coriander and serve!
- Asian Glazed Pork Chops (dailygluttony.wordpress.com)
- San Choy Bow (kidsrecipesandorganisedchaos.wordpress.com)
- imabonehead: San Choy Bow (Chinese Stuffed Lettuce Cups) | MediterrAsian Kitchen Blog (mediterrasian.com)
- Sung Choi Bao (healtherella.wordpress.com)
- Spicy Asian Noodles with Chicken (phyllisgraveswhiteteam.wordpress.com)
- chicken san choy bow (alillesssugar.com)