Yesterday afternoon I stumbled upon Ben sitting on the couch snacking on a packet on plain crackers, as tasty as this seemed I thought I would make him a much requested snack of hummus to accompany his crackers. In under five minutes he was happily making his way through what is easily the best hummus I have ever made – and I make hummus a lot!
- 1 tin of chickpeas – drained
- 1 tin of white beans – drained
- 3-4 good tbs of tahini
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tsp of cumin
- 4 tsp of sweet paprika
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- Water approx. 100ml – the amount will vary dependent on the weather and the moisture in the beans
- Crackers, lavash or pita bread to serve + extra paprika to sprinkle over the top. Some people top with additional olive oil but I have opted to skip this.
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. Add the water in a steady stream to ease blending and help to make the mixture smooth.
- Stop the blender, scrape any mixture down that may be stuck on the sides and blend.
- Transfer to bow, sprinkle with paprika and serve!
Note: hummus is also a really tasty additional to wraps or can be taken to work/school with veggie sticks for a healthy snack.
- Jalapeno Hummus (inspirationsfinecatering.wordpress.com)
- Avocado Hummus (theblackavocado.net)
- The Wrap Game. (bethsbrotherskitchen.com)
- How To Make Hummus from Scratch – Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Homemade Lavosh crackers and Hummus (incrednibbles.wordpress.com)
- My Favourite Hummus Recipe (ericaorcalluna.wordpress.com)
- Recipe – Homemade Hummus (artscottme.wordpress.com)
- Hummus at Home (eatsandfastfeets.wordpress.com)
- Hummus with beets (instylefashionone.com)
- Hellykelly’s Traditional Chickpea Hummus (hellykellysbelly.com)