With Footy Finals Fever in full swing one thing I know everyone can agree on is the need for something delicious to munch on while you cheer your team onto glory! With that in mind, one of my all-time favourite finger foods would have to be chicken wings. They can be cooked a thousand ways, eaten with your hands and downed between sips.
Without further ado let me introduce to you one of the most deliciously, devilish chicken wing recipes I know – Spiced Chicken Wings with Roast Garlic and Chipotle Sauce.
Ingredients – Wings
- 400 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp each smoked sweet paprika, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground garlic and ground onion
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Finely grated rind of 1 lime
- 1 kg chicken wings, jointed
Ingredients – Roast Garlic and Chipotle Sauce
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into wedges
- 2 chipotle chillies in adobo – available from delicatessens
- To serve: juice of 1 lime, or to taste, plus wedges
- Pinch of caster sugar
- Whisk buttermilk, spices, oil and lime rind in a bowl, season to taste, add wings, stir to coat and transfer to a non-reactive container. Cover and refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- For roast garlic and chipotle salsa, preheat oven to 180C. Wrap garlic in foil, roast until tender (40-50 minutes), cool slightly, squeeze flesh from skin and set aside. Meanwhile, place tomatoes cut-side down on an oven tray lined with baking paper, add onion, drizzle with oil, season to taste and roast until tender (35-45 minutes). Cool, peel tomatoes, process in a food processor with remaining ingredients to a thick sauce, season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat a barbecue or char-grill to medium-high. Drain wings and grill, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (8-10 minutes). Season to taste and serve hot with salsa and lime wedges.
Best served with a Rose, pear cider or icy cold beer!
Enjoy! Oh and go Freemantle!
- RECIPE: Fire-roasted tomato, corn and chipotle salsa (pe.com)
- Sticky Chipotle Chilli Chicken (fatsandbird.com)
- Homemade Roasted Tomato Sauce (faithfulprovisions.com)
- peanuts+lime+jalapeno. delicious. (sweetceremonials.com)
- Jamaican Jerk Baked Chicken Wings (foodsinthefastlane.me)
- Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings (chewoutloud.com)
- Roast chicken with butter and thyme (rodskitchen.wordpress.com)