These Turkish style baked eggs are perfect for family dinners, served with a light green salad or are an impressive addition to any weekend brunch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion – halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 can of cushed tomato with paste and capsicum
- 1/2 cup of water
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 100g of feta – crumbled
- 2 sprigs mint – leaves picked and finely sliced
- 4 rounds pita bread – to serve
- 1/2 cup roast garlic tzatziki – to serve
- 1/2 cup of hummus – to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add paprika, coriander and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato and 1/2 cup of water. Season. Bring to a simmer.
- Wrap pita bread in foil and place in oven. Cook for 5 minutes or until warm.
- Make 4 holes in tomato mixture and crack 1 egg into each hole. Reduce heat to medium-low, cook covered for 5 minutes or until egg white is set and yolks are still runny.
- Top with crumbled feta and chopped mint.
- Serve with tzatziki, hummus and pita bread.
- Tzatziki! (neversated.wordpress.com)
- Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce (ramenreduction.com)
- My first post as Pantry Diva – Shakshuka: Poached Eggs in Tomato and Chickpea Sauce (pantrydiva.me)