I recently attended a bring-a-dish dinner party to farewell a friend from town who happens to be a vegetarian. I was on salad duties and decided to whip up a Pumpkin and Risoni salad which is a personal favourite of mine. It’s light, fresh and delicious. This dish is perfect for a dinner party, BBQ or to be served with grilled fish or chicken. The lemon sings through and compliments the pepperiness of the rocket and the acidic bite from the tomatoes; while the creamy pumpkin and risoni balance the dish.
- 500g risoni
- 700g butternut pumpkin – peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes – quartered
- 200g baby rocket
- 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and a line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Par-cook pumpkin in a lare saucepan of boiling water, drain and place on a lined baking tray.
- Coat lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper, place in the middle of the oven and bake 20-30 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, cook risoni in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 8 minutes or until cooked through as per packet instructions. Drain and cool.
- Using a peeler, peel the rind from the lemon and finely slice. Juice the lemon and reserve.
- Add pumpkin, tomato, rocket, lemon rind, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to risoni, toss until well combined and serve.
- Meal in Minutes (hootlife.wordpress.com)
- Kale, pumpkin and roasted-paprika-chickpea quinoa salad (thenaturalvegan.wordpress.com)
- Roast pumpkin salad: a quick Sunday meal (sayomtogreen.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini Fries with Lemon Garlic Mayo (sweetpeaandpeppermint.wordpress.com)
4 thoughts on “Risoni and Pumpkin Salad”
Sounds fabulous! Will try!
Wonderful – let me know how it turns out!
Yum what an interesting and yummy looking salad. I love pumpkin in salads! Especially with feta! Definitely going to have to make this!
I thought about adding feta to this – it’s the perfect combination. YUM. Let me know how it turns out!