Living in the cherry capital of Australia, Young NSW, means that come summer we are inundated with delicious cherries. In fact there are more cherries than I can eat! I use them in recipes, eat them plain and make pot, after pot of jam but this year I thought I would try something different and make a deliciously refreshing cherry and yoghurt ‘ice cream’.
- 2 cups of fresh pitted cherries – finely chopped
- 1 cup of natural honey yoghurt
- 300ml of thickened cream
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- Combine the all ingredients in a bowl and gently fold until mixture is just combined.
- Pour into a shallow metal container. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 4 hours or until almost set.
- Use a large metal spoon to roughly break up the ice-cream. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and use an electric beater to beat until smooth.
- Quickly return mixture to the metal container. Cover with foil and freeze for another 4 hours or until firm.
- Scoop into bowls and serve immediately.
- Rosemary Cherry Almond Pie (saraheatsaustin.com)
- Keep Calm and Make Ice Cream in Your Apartment (apartmentguide.com)
- Sparklers & Sparkling Cherry Lemonade (berries.com)