Pomme frites, French fries, hot chips, potato chips, fries, or French-fried potatoes are just some of the many names for the delicious deep-fried batons of potato that have come to work their way into the hearts and mouths of potato-faring folk the world over.
To me, these two foods go wonderfully together and I often order this combination when I am at French restaurants. You can dip the fries in the mussel broth and soak up the delicious flavor or just eat them straight up!
- 1 packet of McCain Superfries Mum’s Cut
- Chopped flat leaf parsley – to serve
- Aioli – to serve
Ingredients – Mussels
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic – crushed and finely diced
- 2 tbs of tomato paste
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tsp of raw sugar
- 1kg of mussels – cleaned and beard’s removed
- Salt and pepper to season
- 300ml of thickened cream
- Chopped Chives – to serve
- Cook chips as per packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large fry pan over a high heat, reduce heat to medium and add garlic. Fry, stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato paste and sugar and fry, stirring for 1 minute. Add tinned tomatoes and water, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add mussels, ensuring they are evenly distributed in the sauce, cover and allow to cook for 8-12 minutes or until mixture has thickened and mussels have opened. Add thickened cream and stir to mix well and allow to simmer over a low heat.
- Remove chips from oven and place on to a serving plate, spoon carefully mussels into four serving bowls, sprinkle with chopped chives and serve with aioli and lemon wedges.