This dish is a modern take on the classic Italian dish of Spaghetti with Pangrattato. “Pangrattato” is basically Italian for breadcrumbs – but so much more romantic! Coming from the Calabria district, like me! Traditionally this is seen as ‘peasant food’, given the cheap and readily available ingredients of bread and pasta; and was eaten during lent or at Christmas when Catholics avoid meat.
In this dish I have chosen to mix it up a bit and use Abe’s Bagels – Bagel Crisps, for their crunch and in this case their roasted garlic flavour. This dish is easy and delicious, with the subtle hum of the anchovies, the kick of chilli and crunch of the garlic bagel crumbs.
- 1 packet of Abe’s Bagels – Roasted Garlic Bagel Crisps
- 1/3 cup of oil olive
- 2 long red chillies – halved, seeds and membrane removed and finely sliced
- 10 anchovies – finely diced
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 500g of thin spaghetti – I recommend Barilla
- ¼ bunch of flat leaf parsley – roughly chopped
- Place Abe’s Bagels – Roasted Garlic Bagel Crisps into the bowl of a food processor and process until roughly chopped.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup of cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan over medium heat. Add chilli and anchovies and stir cooking for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add parsley and Abe’s Bagels – Bagel Crisp crumbs and cook for 1-2 minutes or until bagel crumbs are golden and parsley is beginning to crisp. Add pasta and lemon juice to the pan and toss, adding enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten.
- Divide between bowls and serve immediately.