This is a quick, easy salad that is tasty, refreshing and the perfect vegan option to serve at Christmas. But don’t stop there, take this along to BBQ’s as it pairs perfectly with chicken or lamb.
Serves – 6
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 5 minutes
- 1 cup of McCain Peas – cooked as per packet instructions
- 1 ½ cups cous cous
- 1 cup hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbs butter – melted
- ¼ cup flaked almonds – lightly toasted
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 pomegranate – seeds (arils) only, membrane discarded
- 2 shallots – ends trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Place melted butter and cous cous in a medium heatproof bowl, add liquid, cover and let sit for 2-5 minutes or until liquid is fully absorbed. Remove cover and use fork to fluff and separate the cous cous grains.
- Meanwhile, place olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and cumin in a small bowl and mix well to combine.
Place McCain Peas, almonds, mint leaves, cranberries, shallots and pomegranate seeds into a large mixing bowl, add cous cous and dressing, toss gently to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve