Making your own pasta is one of the easiest things you can make. I would however highly suggest that you get yourself a pasta maker – they are life changing!
- 2 cups of 00 flour
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- ¼ – ½ a cup of water dependant of how well the ingredients are coming together
- Additional flour for dusting
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until combined. The mixture will still be slightly sticky but it will come away from the bowl without sticking.
- If you put in too much water you can always add a little extra flour to adjust.
- Cover the dough ball with cling wrap, place in a bowl with a tea towel over the top and rest for 30 minutes in a warm area.
- Flour your work surface, divide the dough into four even pieces and flour the dough portions.
- Using your pasta maker send the dough trough on setting 1, flour and fold in half lengthways.
- Send through on setting 1 and flour.
- Set the pasta maker to setting 2 and send the dough through, flour and fold in half widthways.
- Send through on setting 2 and flour.
- Send through on setting 3 and flour.
- Send through on setting 4 and flour.
- Cut your four pasta lengths in half width ways and either using a knife or your pasta maker attachment cut into fettuccine, spaghetti, pappardelle or any other shape that takes your fancy.
- Ensure that as you cut the pasta you dust with flour to ensure they do not stick together!
- To cook – bring a large saucepan of salted water to a rapid boil and place in the pasta, in batches if needed, and cook till al dente – this will take around 3 minutes dependant on the width of your pasta.
- Serve with your favourite sauce.