Did you know that blackcurrants contain three times more Vitamin C than oranges? Or, that blackcurrants contain 50% more antioxidants than blueberries? Blackcurrants are considered one of the best natural sources of antioxidants, vitamin C and polyphenols in the world. They have long been thought of as the original superfood; proving you don’t need to buy overpriced fruits, with names you can’t pronounce from the Amazon to harness the super power of natural produce.
With over 700 Canterbury Blackcurrants squeezed into every bottle of Barker’s of Geraldine Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant Fruit Syrup, it is a rich and natural source of antioxidants. Try adding a dash of Barker’s of Geraldine’s Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant Syrup to your next meal for a boost of antioxidants!
Ingredients – Pork Belly
- 1KG of pork belly
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Freshly ground sea salt
- Boiling water to fill roasting tray
Ingredients – Glaze
- ½ cup of Barker’s of Geraldine Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant Syrup
- ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup of water
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic – whole, crushed
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 150C.
- Place the pork belly on a clean, dry cutting board and pat well, all over with paper towel. Using a sharp knife, score the fat of the pork belly at 1cm intervals in a crisscross pattern; be careful not to cut into the meat. Scatter the pork belly liberally with salt and allow to rest for five minutes before patting well with paper towel.
- Fill the bottom of a roasting tray with boiling water; be careful to ensure that the liquid does not touch the bottom of the roasting rack. Place the rosemary sprigs on the roasting rack and place the pork belly on top of the rosemary sprigs. Rub the pork belly with olive oil and lightly salt.
- Place in oven for 2 ½ hours, topping up the water as needed.
- Meanwhile, place the Barker’s of Geraldine Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant Syrup, balsamic vinegar, rosemary sprigs and garlic cloves in a small bowl, mix well and allow to sit.
- Remove the pork belly from the oven, increase oven temperature to 180C, brush entire pork belly well with Barker’s of Geraldine Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant Syrup glaze, ensuring you apply several coats and return to oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove rosemary sprigs and garlic from Barker’s of Geraldine Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant Syrup mix, add water and place in a small pot, over a low heat and allow to reduce to your taste, mixing as needed. Once the liquid has reduced and thickened, place into a serving bowl and serve with pork belly.
- Remove pork belly from oven and place under a hot grill to allow fat to crisp and bubble – keep a careful watch over this as it will only take a few minutes.
- Slice the pork belly into 4cm wide pieces and serve with Barker’s of Geraldine Squeezed NZ Blackcurrant Syrup glaze reduction, mashed potato and greens.