I am a firm believer that there can never be too much chocolate, caramel or nuts in a slice and FINALLY I have found the perfect recipe. This Double Chocolate and Salted Caramel Shortbread Slice is so, so tasty.
It is relatively easy to make, if you don’t mind some mindless stirring and little hands will love to
dip their fingers into condensed milk help you make it and pipe on the white chocolate icing at the end. The salt from the nuts sets off the sweetness of the caramel and chocolate… like I said, HEAVEN.
- 150g butter, softened
- ½ cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- ¾ cup salted chopped mixed nuts – you can use unsalted if you prefer
- 200g milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 tps vegetable oil
- 50g white chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Grease a 3cm deep, 20cm x 30cm pan and line with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 120g butter, sugar and yolk until pale and creamy.
- Stir in flours until combined. Press mixture evenly over base of prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and leave to cool. It is important that you leave it to cool or everything you try and put on top will melt, which isn’t quite as awesome as you think it would be.
- Meanwhile, place condensed milk, golden syrup and remaining butter in small aucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until mixture is golden brown.
- Pour caramel over biscuit base. Smooth top. Sprinkle with nuts and carefully press into caramel. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Place milk chocolate and oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over caramel layer. Refrigerate for 2 hours minimum.
- Remove slice from pan. Spoon melted white chocolate into a snap-lock bag. Snip off 1 corner. Pipe white chocolate over milk chocolate. Set aside for 20 minutes or until set.
- Trim edges and cut into delicious chunks. I prefer to make them uneven as I think it gives it a more rustic look and feel.